Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Oil leak and wing damaged in Qantas A380




Sydney, oil leak may have caused an engine blast on a Qantas Airbus A380 which badly damaged the plane. The engines would be taken out of service if the embattled British company detected the same issue again. The European Aviation Safety Agency had decided to upgrade the engine's control software to detect any problems earlier and ensure the engine would be shut down before it could explode. 

Shares in Qantas, which have fallen more than eight percent since the incident, rose three cents in early trade Friday to 2.67 dollars (2.61 US). Dolan said the initial assessment was that an oil leak had caused a fire which caused the turbine to break up, raining pieces down on an Indonesian island and into the double-decker plane itself. Dolan praised the Qantas pilots who managed to bring the damaged Sydney-bound plane back to Singapore trailing smoke and safely land it without injury to any of the 469 passengers and crew on board.


In my point of views, this case is a real dangerous. We should not judge the plane by it looks. Being one of the biggest Airbus in the world, I think they should double check the plane. As I took the exact plane (Qantas Airbus A380) from Sydney to Singapore before, could not imagine what if this case happened to me. I remember I seated beside the 72 meters long wing, I could see that the wing was keep shaking. A month later, I heard that the wing was dropped in Indonesia. I was so shocked and speechless to hear the news. I hope everything will be okay after the repair the plane. The most important thing is to keep all the passengers safe.


By: Norika Tjoe

No comments:

Post a Comment